Fire Chief Thomas Doe says the fire on Monroe Road started at about 4 p.m. Sunday when the homeowner was in the garage doing some work on the cars.
Doe tells WABI-TV ( ) the man was grinding metal when a spark flew and ignited the blaze.
By the time firefighters arrived, the garage was fully involved. A car and a pickup truck, both built in the 1940s, were a total loss.
Winterport firefighters were joined by the West Frankfort and Newburgh fire departments.
Doe says the garage was insured but he does not think the vehicles were.